Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hauser and Wirth Gallery From Hell

I went to see the Dieter Rot show today at the new Hauser and Wirth space in Chelsea and I can't tell you how much I hate this gallery space. Huge, dank and dark, the only thing that would look good in it is a small Bulgarian traveling three ring circus, and then maybe not even that. Its big enough to house comfortably every Syrian refugee and then some. I am really sick of these oversized gallery spaces pushing their riches in my face with their over hyped over done over rated artists, and this is a good example of why the small galleries are being priced out of Chelsea. How can you compete with this kind of monstrosity?  This whole gallery is like being in hell. I think it was the roxy disco at one point in time. It actually looks like some expensive tacky catering hall in Long Island, There is a steep staircase leading up to the second floor that greets you when you enter though these huge doors, and at the very top you can make out the head of some poor hapless receptionist, sitting there guarding this overdone Valhalla. Colorful and boring wallpaper (its art) covers the walls on either side of the staircase, giving the whole place the look of a as I said a cheap catering hall or a cheesy finished basement. The day I climb those steps it will surely be a cold day in this hell. There is also an elevator which I of course took and when I got off I found myself in a bar, yes they actually have a bar that I thought was some hip artist"s installation and maybe it was. There was a big round table and on it were markers and bad children's drawings, or bad artist's drawings, I couldn't figure out what the point was. Many of them had thank you written on them, so maybe they were left over from the birthday parties, but if I was Hauser & Wirth I wouldn't be celebrating so soon. 

http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/news-opinion/the-scene/2013-01-23/hauser-and-wirth-new-space-chelsea/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter