Wednesday, February 13, 2013

El Anatsui at the Brooklyn Museum


Spectacular spectacular. Saw this show today at the comfy cozy Brooklyn Museum, the museum of my youth, and they are beautiful, large and imposing. These great big wall pieces are real crowd pleaser's, and there's nothing wrong with that, and yet am I already tired of El Anatsui and his bottle caps? Are they too pretty for me, too easy, too OMG, I don't know, but I kind of sleep walked through the exhibition my visual senses on remote. Then there is the problem (for me anyway) of them being made by many many assistants and lets hope that they are being well paid for their intensive labor that these pieces demand. These works are like taking a trip to see some fantastic scenic wonders, maybe a national park and you get out of your car go wow and snap some pictures, get back in your car and move on to the next spectacular view for some more picture taking, some more wows. Maybe I've had my fill of wows. The show is on until August 4th so there is plenty of time for you to make up your own mind.
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/el_anatsui/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter