Saturday, November 16, 2013

Charmion Von Wiegand & American Abstraction










After the good loudness of the Kusama show I went up the block to check out the Charmion Von Wiegand & American Abstraction 1930-1945 shows at the Michael Rosenfeld Gallery. I really like this gallery because of the fine historical shows they put on, even though the space is somewhat awkward. I didn't really know Wiegand's work so her show came as a very pleasant surprise for me. Going back to 1945 with her marvelous small (most of the work is intimate) biomorphic paintings through the 50's and 60's when her paintings became more geometric with vividly colored hard edge shapes this is an excellent show of a little known artist. Also terrific was the American Abstraction show in the back galleries which had 21 works by some familiar names to me, like Burgoyne Diller, Charles Shaw, Theodore Roszak, Albert E. Gallatin and the great Irene Rice Pereira whose work I have always loved, and is the kind of artist that the Whitney, The Guggenheim or the Moma should be celebrating instead of the flavors of the month that they favor. There are also artists in the show who I'm not familiar with such as Rolph Scarlett, Frederick Kann, Louis Stone, Stuart Walker and others who have beautiful works exhibited. The works shown are all by Charmion Von Wiegand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter