Thursday, June 28, 2012

Alighiero Boetti Museum of Modern Art



Oh joy to the world. I finally took advantage of those member previews that the MOMA offers to see shows before they open to the “public” in relative calm and quiet. So I was able to take in the Boetti retrospective nicely without the hoards of tourists getting in my way and bothering me. I liked the show, I didn’t love it mind you, but I found enough in his art making career that I can easily recommend it. Boetti began as one of those Italian art povera guys, conceptual to the nth degree and using everyday materials to make his sculptures and what not. His best pieces for me are the beautiful tapestries and embroidered maps of the world that mainly fill the huge atrium and are arranged on the walls and on low rising platforms. For these works Boetti worked with embroiderers in Afghanistan and Pakistan, who worked from his designs but made their own decisions as to what colors to use (the best and funniest is when they used pink thread to indicate the bodies of water on one map because that was the color they had the most of  and they had no idea what color an ocean was since they lived in a landlocked country) and thus really decided on the finished looks of the pieces, which Boetti loved. Boetti is a perfect artist for the Moma, European, conceptual, dead, out yet in and ripe with objects that can be displayed in Moma’s usual sterile fashion. Everything in the show is so tidy neat and clean and when in doubt just put it in an expensive frame and Wala it looks great against a wall painted blue. So a series of  postal letters sent to famous art world personalities but addressed to non existing addresses and returned to the artist  are framed and treated like they were Picasso drawings, which is now a common way to treat once ephemeral conceptual works from the late 60’s and 70’s that were once treated like nothing, read it and toss it.   Some of his works on paper are weak and not very interesting and the same can be said for some of his large sculptures which greet the viewer when first entering the exhibit. I also checked out Ecstatic Alphabets/heaps of language and Exquisite Corpses: Drawing and Disfiguration. The alphabet show was appealing to me when they stuck with the early 20th century, but I quickly lost interest when it turned contemporary and fashionable, I could also say the same for the Exquisite Corpses show, the later works for the most part were DOA. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter