Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Steins Collect: Matisse, Picasso, and the Parisian Avant-Garde



 Saw this beautiful exhibit today at the Met which is my home away from home and I urge all to see it. As usual with shows here, the installation is stunning, and the paintings well what can I say. The only gallery that I could have done without is the one devoted to some of the work done at Matisse's private studio classes that he gave. I suppose they felt they had to include it because Sarah Stein took classes there, and some of her work is included. Interesting because I never knew this about Matisse. Also of note were the wonderful little dolls and models that Florine Stettheimer designed for Four Saints In Three Acts, and photos of the fabulous house that Le Corbusier designed for Sarah & Michael Stein, also there is short movies of four saints and home movies of the steins at the Le Corbusier house. At times viewing the show brought tears to my eyes, that's how moving I found it. The crowds are manageable if you get there early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter