Friday, November 10, 2017

Wonderstruck 2017


In spite of the problems I had watching this movie the other day, (see my previous post on movie going) I can definitely give this one a pinch on its cheek and a big hug. I related to this dual story of childhood because I was raised in New York City and loved movies, and the city and Coney Island (this place is not in this movie but in another "Wonder" movie opening soon, and I went to museums at an early age and had my own makeshift table top museum of odds and collected ends. You can enjoy this movie for many reasons, number one being the simple beauty of the thing, and the great stuff that Todd Haynes and his crew pull off. I'm also aware of how gay this movie is, the director is gay, and the writer of the source material is also a gay man and the film is after all about differences and how it sets many of us apart and makes many of us special but can cause problems big and small especially for children. Maybe this makes the movie a little too awkward and difficult for many and I don't think it is going to be a big hit, but so what. Its rooted in history, history of film, of this city and by placing it in a museum of natural history by time. The film looks great, its enchanting and lovely in its time warps between 1927 and 1977 between black and white and garish color and I was amazed by the art direction and the special digital effects. This is the kind of film that would have played at Radio City Music Hall with long lines waiting to get in to the Christmas or Easter Show, but now it shows up in small dinky uncomfortable spaces. The young cast of unknown kids were also touching in their quests for a place of their own,and we root for them to find those places. A small gem worth checking out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter