Sunday, October 30, 2016

Kai Althoff and then leave me to the common swifts. Moma.



            I went to the hell hole known as the Museum of Modern Art yesterday to check out this cheeky show by Kai Althoff who I never heard of but is the latest German darling to get a big show here.
I wasn't expecting much, the New York Times gave him a very tepid review, but I have to say that I found it to be somewhat amusing and fun, like visiting a tacky thrift shop or an eccentric aunt's crowded roomy apartment on the upper west side. It's an expensive looking installation, I mean the Moma built this elaborate set up of ramps, shelves, nice wooden floors, draped ceilings and bored looking guards all for this guy who I never heard of.
Anyway its jam packed and nicely arranged with stuff on shelves on the floor on platforms up and down, and in and out. It's pretty but crass to be sure, and some of it made me giggle like a teenage girl. However and its a big however I found the trash and stuff that is mixed in with his rather weak drawings and paintings more appealing than his work and here lies the danger and damage of this show.
I mean what is he going to do for the rest of his career, more thrift shop installations of Chachkies, do dads and muck mixed in with his so so drawings and paintings? He's like one of my wise ass art students with a big chip on their shoulders and like them this kind of work can be tiring after a while. It seems like its going run forever or at least until Jan 22 2017. No doubt the Moma wants to get their moola back on the big expense they no doubt spent on this show. Lets see 25.00 bucks admission fee x 200,000 visitors up to Jan. It could work out for you Moma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter