Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Mother of God is this the end of Penny Dreadful?


Spoilers







Seems it is, and I watched the final 2 episodes last night thanks to a year long gift of free Showtime and Time Warner. I generally thought it a wonderful feast of beauty and gore, but the final season had its ups and very downs for me. Filled to the brim with characters from horror fiction some good and some not so good with some loose ends and flabby characterizations. Still this is the place that introduced me to the oh so great Eva Green and just for that alone I am forever grateful. I wish that they had allowed Danny Sapani as Sembene to hang around longer, and also had given the wonderful Simon Russell Beale more to do, but hey we did get Patti LuPone back as an alienist. all butched up and looking like a portrait by Romaine Brooks come to life and the sexy and sturdy Wes Studi as Kaetenay a sometime Native American werewolf and spiritual father of Josh Hartnett as Ethan Chandler the complicated bisexual American as an American werewolf in London. And for three seasons we had what might be the most beautiful production ever done for tv including the rich costumes and art direction. It seemed a bit rushed in its final season, and the episodes set in the American west were deadly bores the same for the unending flashback to Vanessa's padded cell ordeal which turned out to be an ordeal for me, tedious and pretentious. And did I mention the most beautiful Eva Green?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter