Thursday, October 09, 2014

"Henri Matisse: the Cut-Outs,"

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1469



I went to the member's viewing today of this extraordinary and thrilling exhibition by one of the great artists of the 20th century. The show was crowded which I was expecting, but it was nowhere a crazy as it will be once it opens. Filled and brimming over with about 100 of his cut-outs large and small that he did during the last decade of his life including the rarely seen swimming pool that has been painstakingly restored. I thought it would be larger than it is, but the pleasure of seeing this and his other pieces never let up. What was also wonderful was being able to see his "touch" up close, as I've usually only seen his cut-outs in print especially his memorable book "Jazz" which is well represented here both in the actual works and the book itself. I still have the small edition of it that I brought as a late teenager. This is a joyful and hopeful show of what an artist can do even in old age. Easily the best exhibition of the year.                                                  and
Is that a Matisse on your kitchen wall or are you just happy to see me?
Many moons ago an old close friend (at the time) gave me this limited not signed Matisse silkscreen that was published with a magazine, maybe it was Verve, don't recall. It was mounted on burlap. One of my treasures, and the original piece is in the Matisse show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter