Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Self Taught genius. Treasures from the American Folk Art Museum. May 13-Aug 17.










http://www.folkartmuseum.org/

I made it up to the American Folk Art Museum's original space near Lincoln Center today in all the heat to see this marvelous show. Its pretty much irresistible and its full of many popular self taught artists like Henry Darger, Bill Traylor, Thorton Dial, and on and on. But there were also unknown darlings to me like Judith Scott (boy would I love to see a show of her spaced out sculptures wrapped in wool and twine), Marino Auriti's 11 ft tall beautifully made intricate skyscraper he called the Encyclopedic Palace, and many many others some dating from the 18th and 19th century to present day. I could kick myself for not having a pen to write down some of the artists names, and I could kick myself again for not charging my camera's battery which died on me. And going here of course brings up the destruction of the museum's 53rd st. building and the sad fact that this city cannot support this museum with a building all its own. This space is small and cramped and they can only show a tiny part of their great collection. The nice thing though is admission is free, and they let you take photographs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter