Friday, November 22, 2013

Stupid Dumb Day.










I went up to the Whitney today in the rain to see the Robert Indiana show. Oh good I thought to myself it looks empty. Yes it was empty because they weren't opened yet. The guard at the door told me we open at 1 on Fridays. At 1, but I looked on the website and it said 11. Well my eye filled in an extra 1 when there wasn't one, so there I was with 90 minutes to kill before they threw open their doors. What museum opens at 1 in the afternoon, what is that about. I want my museums to open at 11 or even earlier. What to do with 90 minutes to kill, and I was already pooped from the long subway ride from Brooklyn and I didn't have my camera with me which I kept reaching for in my coat pocket. Its not there Ira Joel. Well since I had the arts section of the Times on me, I noticed that the Gagosian Madison ave gallery was right across the street, and since I've never been I thought why not, Willem de Kooning and David Smith that sounded good to me. This has got to be the scariest gallery in town 3 floors and looking like something out of a Stanley Kubrick movie, or a place one would go to get their face lifted or have all their important organs taken out and sold on the black market. This place gave me the creeps, with those long hallways and the Stepford girls behind their high counters, and those poor young guards just standing there for hours. I did like the David Smith show of his tall vertical forgings and while not my favorite de Kooning's I still thought they look lovely. I still had 90 minutes to kill, and I couldn't decide what to do, the upper east side is so off putting, its sort of like Philadelphia but with a lot more money. Should I go to the Met, the park or just go home and come back some other day to see the Indiana show. Well I decided the best thing for me to do was go to the Barnes & Noble on 86th street and buy something. Which I did. I found a very discounted dvd of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. $3.99 and the most recent copy of Film Comment, then I took the subway back home to Brooklyn and found a new umbrella just sitting on a bench waiting for me to take it home with me. When I got back to Brooklyn I definitely needed a buttered roll and a cup of coffee from Sally and George's so it turned out not to be such a stupid dumb day after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter