Saturday, January 31, 2009

George O’Brien-The Most Beautiful Actor Ever To Appear In Movies









Every time I mention that I think George O’Brien is the most beautiful man ever to appear in movies, my friend Peter laughs at me. Ok true I’ve only seen two films of his, both silent ones but there are all those sexy photos of him posing nude or semi nude. His most famous film is the great silent film Sunrise by the gay German director Murnau who died in a car crash under mysterious circumstances; (it is said that he was going down on his chauffer when they hit a tree or something like that). A few years back Peter and me went to the Film Forum to see a rarely revived screening of Sunrise and I just swooned over George. After the film his daughter who was in the afternoon audience got up and took a bow, she looked like a nice person. There are also gay rumors about George, that he was a lover of Valentino’s, that he and John Ford and several other so called macho actors would have wild orgies on Ford’s boat, and I can easily believe this especially after Maureen O’ Hara’s published account of her walking in on Pappy having sex with a top movie star in the mid 1950’s. I think the actor was Tyrone Power who was making Ford’s the Long Gray Line with O’Hara at this time. Every time I would tell Peter some tasty tidbit he would say with one of his hearty chuckles “whatever. You and your gossip“. Ok I tend to believe gossip, especially if its lavender tinted. But getting back to George. The only other film I’ve seen of his is Ford’s silent film “The Iron Horse” and although he never hit the heights of his silent film career he went right on making movies, mostly B westerns in the 1930‘s and 40‘s with such intriguing titles as “Stage To Chino”, “Timber Stampede”, “The Fighting Gringo”, “Racketeers Of The Range”, “Park Avenue Logger”, “The Dude Ranger” and “When A Man's A Man”. George made one last film for his old buddy John Ford “Cheyenne Autumn” in 1964 and passed away in 1985 at the ripe old age of 85. God love you George, I know I did.

10 Comments:

Blogger Alex Gildzen said...

lovely photos indeed.

7:48 AM  
Blogger NancyLouNews said...

Hummm, thanks for the info. I just watched Sunrise for the 4th time on TMC and his performance has always thrilled me...and I'ma
girl. Aaaah well...

10:59 PM  
Blogger Always checkin said...

I finished a book on Bogart's early years. George O'Brien was featured. Did a search, and needless to say, the man is mesmerizing!The camera picks up a certain charm. The semi-nudes are pure art. Now to wait for one of his films to appear. Easy to become a fan.

11:31 AM  
Blogger robwilliams said...

George's son, Darcy O'Brien, wrote a now-classic book/memoir about life with his famous and troubled parents, called A Way of Life Like Any Other. Darcy died in the late 80s or early 90s, sadly. The book is terrific, though.

1:01 PM  
Blogger robwilliams said...

Oops--actually he died in 1998.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also think George O'Brien is beautiful. What is great is that he is a different "body type." Unlike the now-mandatory "V" shape with the extra long torso, George has those nice long legs and a short torso. He's solid as a rock and very sexy. I've heard the gay rumors, too. I like to believe them since so many stars of the 1920s seemed to swing both ways. Just saw "Iron Horse" on TCM. Not the best film but George looks so handsome and his fight scene results in his shirt getting torn off. I sometimes wonder if he ever diddled with William Haines.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He certainly was beautiful....

9:35 AM  
Blogger RS said...

I want to come back in time and be George O'Brien's lover butt boy.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just saw Timber Stampede. In the tight cowboy duds you get some great views of George's ass and it's mighty fine.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter