Thursday, March 11, 2021

Shutter Island 2010

 It gives me no pleasure to take down this movie, but the movie gave me no pleasure so we're even. This might be Scorsese's worst film, and its really a stain on his filmography. Far fetched and quite silly, but its not even entertaining, in fact its downright dull. I won't go into plot details, Heaven forbid I should drop some bread crumbs for you to find your way out of this dense forest. The plot thins immediately with Leonardo Di Caprio looking drained and Mark Ruffalo looking like he would rather be anywhere but here landing on Shutter Island which houses a grim and large mental hospital to investigate a missing female inmate who has disappeared into thin air. Cue the ominous music, the rolling fog, and all those menacing creepy inmates and staff especially Ben Kingsley as Dr. Cawley who is very crawly. There are big storms, hysterical hallucinations,flashbacks to concentration camps and lots of digital special effects, come of which look quite tacky along with obvious stunt doubles. There is of course a very disturbing murder which should leave you down and depressed, and some ridiculous slight of hand resolutions. This was my second viewing, I had disliked it in 2010 and thought I would give it another go hoping I would see things that would change my mind. I didn't and it didn't. My unclean unclean award of the week, maybe the month. Oh Marty Marty how could you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter