Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Perfect viewing for hot summer nights. Queer Eye and Hoarders.

Believe it or not both shows have a lot in common, and I've been watching one episode of each show per night on Netflix. I've known many queer eyes and a few hoarders and I haven't decided yet which are the scariest. As a book dealer I've been to a few hoarder nests and what they have in common is a lack of electricity or the ability to cook for themselves since the kitchens are long gone. I visited one mail artist some years ago because he wanted to sell me some stuff. Never mind it was pitch black in his creepy joint and I got out of there real fast when things on the floor started to move towards me.When I got home and looked at what I bought most had water damage. A common thing I've noticed with hoarders in NY is they collect the Sunday Times which they never read, and they just pile up and they usually have a bicycle somewhere in their mess that they never ride. The bathrooms are bio hazard sites and no doubt a cure for corona can be found by scraping their toilets or bathtubs. Most of the hoarders I knew were borderline cases, on the border of planet debbie and no man's land. I'm not talking about messy artist studios here, all artists are pigs under the canvas, can't be helped but the ones who are dangerous and this show presents them in all their misery. The most famous hoarders from our city were of course the adorable Collier Brothers who were actually buried under their trash in their uptown brownstone in the 1940's. My upstairs neighbor a nice old Irish lady was a hoarder she lived in the apartment without lights no stove and clutter everywhere. I was worried about a fire. They finally put her in a home and her nephew asked me if I wanted anything, well sure, except it was pitch dark in her place and they were cleaning everything out the next day so I passed. I have enough of my own stuff. I'm not a hoarder and after watching an episode I frantically jump up off the couch and start cleaning. There isn't much I can throw out. Well I guess I can dump all my art. Hoarders are not collectors they just hoard without an eye for collecting the good from the bad. I mean the few shows I've seen have been beyond shocking, you can almost smell the rot. Each show is basically the same, they seem to take place in the mid west or out in washington state and they follow a certain style and formula, including a shrink always on call and family members who look like refugees from a worn torn country. They look shell shocked. I always watch with my queer eye hoping to see something I would like, or that Linda, or Mary or Hal should save for what I don't know. I would love to see a show or two focusing on urban hoarders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter