Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Ben Barenholtz 1935-2019

Forgot to post this on Mr. Barenholtz. When I moved to Chelsea in 1967 I lived right across the street from the Seedy run down Elgin Movie theatre, which on that day in Oct. showed Spanish speaking movies. Overnight or so it seemed it became a repertory theatre and it was my home away from home where I saw many classics including birth of a nation which burnt up in front of our eyes, also my first viewings of truffaut and so many others including some of those famous midnight movies. Me and my roommates lived on the top floor of a 6th floor walk up, and the getting up those stairs were a test of endurance, once up you didn't want to go back down. But we would get stoned out of our minds and rush down the stairs and race across the street to sit stonafied (is that a word) and giggle till the early morning hours. Its change over to the Joyce was a sad day for me, even though it became a lovely place for the dance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter