Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Anselm Kiefer: Transition from Cool To Warm







I did see one gallery exhibition this summer, making a special trip to the outer edges of Chelsea to see the Anselm Kiefer show. Presented by Gagosian Gallery this is a very impressive display of Kiefer's paintings, watercolors and books. Landscapes that are almost as big as the actual outdoors these are the pieces that I liked the best, all craggy and textured, big huge really with great use of materials and textures. These are great works. The other works that pulled me in were the many large books presented like caged animals or tombstones in large vitrines they are also marvelous for his use of materials and surfaces, there's a lot of stuff in these books that I would love to touch and look at. Beautiful but threatening the way I like my art to be. The many watercolors are the weakest works here for me, sure they're pretty but they are also rather empty and vapid, almost kitschy, erotic for some, boring for others. Still this is a show to be seen, even though I know many don't like his stuff, but I do. Also pick up a copy or two of the nice free large 16pg. color catalog that has an interview with Kiefer. The show has been extended until September, and the gallery is nice and cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter