Monday, March 31, 2014

Blue Is The Warmest Color 2013.




When I mentioned to someone I know that I was going to watch "Blue Is The Warmest Color" tonight he said "oh the Lesbian movie" with a somewhat sweaty smirk on his face. Yes there is sex in the movie, explicit sex between two women, but this extraordinary nearly 3 hour film is about more than the sex. The director Abdellatif Kechiche based the film on a graphic (comic book) novel which I didn't read or even know about, my one time short intense graphic novel phase of a few years back is long over, so I really didn't know what to expect, other than "the explicit Lesbian sex". Set in Lille France the focus of the movie is on a 15 year old beautiful sensitive teenage girl named Adele who is played by the young and beautiful actress Adele Exarchoplous who gives a truly remarkable performance, the best of the year for sure, and her growth as a person and a woman over a span of 10 years. The warm blue enters the film by way of Lea Seydoux (also terrific) who is wearing a blue dye job in her very butch hairdo, and who plays a young artist who paints dull female nudes so we know she will be a big success, and sweeps Adele off her feet. There is lots of talk about everything including art, literature, music and the human condition, and there is also a lot of food and eating, in fact I don't think I've seen more robust eating ever in a movie, never mind the robust sex. There has of course been the standard expected  criticism that the film objectifies women, is prurient and its sole purpose is to cater to the men with the overcoats over their laps which I dismiss with a wave of my gay hand. I haven't so engrossed or moved by a film in a very long time and the final scene is a real heart breaker. Best film, director, best actress of 2013.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter