Monday, December 09, 2013

Nelson Mandeka Paid My Rent

Yes that's true. Let me explain. In 2003 I was browsing in a second hand bookstore in Brooklyn when I came to their bargain table, all books $3.00 or less. On the table was a copy of Mandela's "Long Walk To Freedom" and for some reason I picked it up, and when I opened it I saw that it was Inscribed and Signed to Carol Bellamy who at the time was the executive director of the United Nations Children's Fund. I nearly screamed and was shaking as I took the book up to the front desk to pay for it, and thought why would she ever get rid of this book, unless she forgot it was inscribed.  "Oh this is a mistake" the clerk said. Damn I thought I'm going to have trouble. "It should be $2.00 and not $3.00 he said as he placed my treasure in a bag and I left the bookstore shaking but happy. I did some research on it to determine how much I should ask for it, and also noted the books condition  "There is damp staining to the verso of the dustjacket, which has resulted in a small patch of staining to the bottom edge of the black cloth & there is also small bottom corner staining through most of the book's 630pgs. some of which are very faint and hardly noticeable. Light browning to the paper most likely due to the poor quality of the paper used." and put on up for sale on my database and sent it on its way to Barnes & Noble, Abe Books, Alibris and my own booksite asking  $1,000.00 for it. Very shortly I got an inquiry from a high end bookseller saying he would like to buy the book, but would have to see it first. I don't usually like doing this especially with such a rare book, but off it went. A few days later the book came back to me with the dealer saying that the condition was worse than he thought and he would pass on it. After cursing him out for a few hours I put the book back up and very shortly I got a definite order for it from out of the country, which got me nervous. I googled the person, the address he gave me and made inquires about the credit card that he had given to me. I even called the phone number he gave me and it was also legit so after charging the book and postage off it went again this time it didn't come back. So I am indeed grateful to Mr. Mandela and note his passing with deep respect for the life he led for for the unknown help that he gave me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter