Friday, March 15, 2013

lots of shows




I went to a lot of shows in Chelsea on Wednesday. There was a group show at Marlborough with 2 terrific Francis Bacon paintings and two terrific Guston paintings, the other works by 2 artists I never heard of stunk. Also Liked the Richard Anuszkiewicz's at Loretta Howard, the colors were so bright and oppy that I got dizzy. Also the 2nd Thomas Nozkowski show at Pace which I somehow missed the week before, I love his work easily one of the best shows I've seen this year, they might appear easy to some, but they are really difficult. Also Al Held at Cheim and Read, handsome and bold, but I have to say that I never cared for him as a person. A three person show at C24 featuring a nice array of work by a facebook friend Mark Dutcher, Matthew Weinstein's very intricate paintings at Sonnabend, (how does he do them)? Can do without the sculpture and video though. Easy work by Nayland Blake at Mathew Marks which has become more and more a gallery of easy work. I also liked the loose somewhat sloppy paintings of Baker Overstreet at Fredericks & Freiser, but can do without the attitude of the doodies at the front desk, also at Nicole Klagsbrun (can do without her telling me to watch my bag, Ms. Klagsbrun please take my bag and shove it up your ass,) anyway the ceramic sculptures of Sean Bluechel are fun and pleasing if somewhat easy to like, which was the case of several of the shows that I saw, maybe its more of a compliment these days if I hate a show, and finally large show of Peter Hutchinson at Freight + Volume which mixes conceptual, collage, environmental and assemblages into a very likable mix, this time I mean likable in a good way. (Peter Hutchinson, Francis Bacon, Mathew Weinstein and Richard Anuszkiewics illustrated here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter