Wednesday, January 04, 2012

2 movie reviews

Betrayed (when Strangers Marry) 1944
This is a really good and cheap little Monogram thriller directed by of all people William Castle before he became the gimmicky schlock master of Hollywood B's. The original title "When Strangers Marry" was changed for some reason to Betrayed, and this little thing is loaded with many nice touches. The story is about a very sweet but naive young waitress played by Kim Hunter who comes to New York City to meet up with her mysterious husband who she married after knowing him for only 3 days. A murder happens in Philadelphia (why Philadelphia?) and her husband played by Dean Jagger in a rare romantic lead is the main suspect. Kim spends most of the quick 67 minutes trying to prove his innocence with the help of former boyfriend Robert Mitchum. As I said its very cheap and somewhat sordid just they way I like my men and movies, so I had a really good time with it. Influenced by Hitchcock and the films of Val Lewton there are scenes set in movie theatres, an after hours jazz joint in Harlem, various hotel rooms and paper thin New York Streets. The very young Ronda Fleming has a tiny part at the end of the film Its available only through the Warner bros. archive, and you might be able to get it from your library.

Bridesmaids 2011.
 I really can't understand all the love shown this film. It’s not horrible, but its really like an overlong sitcom, it looks like a sitcom and sounds like one, (I almost expected to hear a laugh track) and that's probably because of the cast which is filled with tv performers. I wouldn't know Kristen Wiig if I tripped over her, since I have never seen her on SNL She's not bad, looks a little too much like a taller meg ryan and she tired me out after a while as did the rest of the cast and I found none of these women likable or believable. Maybe it’s me, but I just don't know women like these, and I don't want to. Basically they are presented as vain, stupid, materialistic vulgar insensitive tarts and I had trouble thinking that they can maneuver through a day without getting run over by a bus. I really don't like scatological humor, so the big set piece at the wedding dress salon only grossed me out but I suppose one can say that this is a big step forward for feminism and woman's equal rights proving that they can be just as gross as men

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter