Friday, August 12, 2011

Childhood Sculpture

The earliest piece of existing sculpture that I did dates from 1958. I was very young. The piece is made of white interlocking plastic building blocks that children at a certain age always play with. For me it was more than just play. The piece has some similarities to my present concerns. It looks like a building or a structure or a ruin. I glued the individual blocks together. Even at this early stage I was concerned with making a permanent work of art. I found this lost and forgotten piece in 1971 at the home of my parents in a box of old things of mine that my mother had kept for all those years. The piece was broken into four sections, but it was not difficult to repair because the parts fitted together like a puzzle. I remember doing this piece but its a vague remembrance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter