Friday, April 17, 2009

Frederica


My old friend Freddy who moved last year to secondary city somewhere in the northwest called me late one night to tell me that he was thinking of becoming a woman. Now this was quite a shock. “But why would you want to do that?” I asked. “I mean wasn’t converting to Catholicism and picking up and moving to a secondary city enough for you?” Obviously not. “I want a clean slate ira joel a clean slate, and maybe just maybe my estranged son could love me as Frederica since he doesn’t love me as a father anymore. “What makes you think that? And you think that Joshua would you love you as a transsexual mother? “I’ll be a different sort of mother that’s all.” “I‘ll say.” “You have a beard.” “I’ll cut it off.” “That’s not all you’ll be cutting off” That broke Freddy up, my common obvious jokes always worked well with Freddy. I was the Borscht Belt with an audience of one. To Freddy I was Grossinger's and the Concord Hotel rolled into one, a laugh machine. “What if you change your mind?” “I won’t.” “I never change my mind.” “About anything.” “You should know that.” “Wives, child, friends, step grandkids out the window, I made up my mind to leave all the things that I love and move to this secondary city, dark doubts and all,” “What about your mother Freddy, she can’t even accept your converting to Catholicism.” “To her you’re still a Jew. You were Bar Mitzvahed so you are a Jew.” “She will never get it.” “I really don‘t think Freddy that your mother understands that your sister is a Lesbian, I mean her only reference to a lesbian is Shirley McLaine hanging from the rafters in The Children’s Hour, and do you realize how awful you would look like a woman? If nothing else think about that.” “I don’t know, I think I could be a very handsome woman.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter